Working of the Diesel power plant:
In the diesel engine power plant the fuel mixture and air is used as a working medium. During the time of the suction stroke atmospheric air enters the combustion chamber. With the help of the injection pump fuel is injected in to the chamber. Inside the engine the air and the fuel is mixed and the charge must be ignited because of the compression present inside the cylinder. The main principle observed in the diesel engine is the thermal energy it must be converted in to the mechanical energy and further the mechanical energy must be converted in to the electrical energy. The main purpose is to develop electricity with the help of the alternator or generator.Advertisement:
Applications of the diesel engine power plant:
We can notice the combination of the hydro plant and thermal plant in the diesel engine as a peak load unit. To meet the peak demand they stopped and started the engine easily.
Diesel plants fixed on trailers can be pre owned for emergency or temporary purposes like providing power to huge civil engineering workings.
If it cannot handle up with the demand or main unit fails then the diesel plant can supply the required power source.Advertisement:
During the time of power disruption in an energetic unit like industrial plant or a hospital, a diesel electric plant can be used to generate the power.
In the absence of the key grid for power supply a diesel plant is installed in the town. When the power is required in the other stations in that case they transport the power from one place to the other. It means they transfer to the small plants. So this is known as nursery station.
The main purpose of the diesel station is used to run the induced draft fans, forced draft fans. Boiler feed is required for the larger steam power plants.
Advantages of diesel power plant:
- Capital cost is low
- The design of the plant is easy and installation process is also easy.
- In standard capacities it is easily available.
- Without facing any difficulties they respond to the changed load.
- There are smaller amount replacement losses.
- It occupies less space
- They can be opened and stopped very quickly.
- Requirement of cooling water is less.
- Operating must be less
- For super vising staff is required
- At the time of conservation they convert the fuel into power.
- Part loads efficiency are higher
- Less members of engineers are required
- Near the load center plants are located
- We cannot absorb the ash handling problems
- Lubrication system must be easy
Disadvantages of Diesel power plant:
- Operating cost must be high
- Lubrication cost and maintenance cost is also high
- Capacity is restricted
- Big size is not available
- Sound pollution is noticed
- Overload is not possible
- Released unwanted emissions
- The life time is 7 to 10 years
- Life span must be 25 to 45 years
- For every 10 years the life is decreased by 10 %
Click Here To Know More About: Diesel power plant Components